Perhaps you have never tried it before, and you are wondering – are rock bass good to eat?
Quite honestly, rock bass is not much in high demand. There are other more popular fish out there, yet we can’t deny the fact that this species is a fun one to catch.
So, if you are looking to try a different kind of fish to eat, or you simply want to feed your curiosity and have a bite of this fish, you’re at the right place. Let’s talk about what it’s like to eat rock bass – flavor, texture, nutrition, and overall quality. Time to dive deep into this amazing fish!
Are Rock Bass Good To Eat?
The short answer is yes. Absolutely good to eat.
The flesh is slightly flaky and reminiscent of what you typically get from sunfish. It’s white and tasty, so it’s definitely worth a shot to eat this fish.
But there are some caveats to rock bass.
While we can’t argue on the fact that it tastes good, this fish is not quite meaty. So, when you fillet them, you can only get a bit of meat. There is not much flesh to be found at their rather stout ribs.
So, if you want a filling meal out of rock bass, you will need more than one. It should not be hard to do so since catching rock bass is not too difficult to do. Even amateur anglers can catch this fun and tasty treat without any problem.
It is important, however, to cook rock bass immediately after catching and cleaning it up. This is the best way to retain the fresh taste, which adds to the whole experience of gobbling up this fish.
And while we are on the topic of eating rock bass, there are some health concerns you may need to know to stay safe when consuming rock bass. More on that in the following section…
Rock Bass And Parasites
To tell you frankly, this is a typical concern when it comes to catching freshwater fish. There is always that risk of bugs and parasites you should take note of.
In fact, it is not rare, and there are some people who actually notice some worms in the meat of this fish.
And this leads you back to the question – are rock bass good to eat?
Considering there are worms or other parasites, it does add an element of fear when eating this fish.
However, most wild fish tend to catch parasites from their environment. There are also certain existing parasites in their bodies. This is why it is essential that you clean the fish very well after catching it. Then, of course, you should never eat it raw.
Cooking carefully is important to prevent the transfer of these parasites from the fish to your body.
Rock bass, as well as smallmouth and largemouth bass, are prone to parasites such as tapeworms. They live inside the body of these fish. There are also other worms, which is why cleaning and cooking practices are highly recommended to prevent any health concerns for you.
What You Should Know Before Eating Rock Bass
Since parasites are inevitable in rock bass, you need to make it a point to do the following to keep you safe:
1. Inspect the body of the fish.
First, be sure to check for signs of parasites on the outer body of the fish. If you notice flukes on the external part of the fish, then it is highly likely that there are also parasites inside. Yellow grub is the common sign, which can be found not only around the tail but also in the meat.
Additionally, there may be larvae on the fish. These appear as white-colored bumps or cysts typically found on the tail base. They can also be present in the internal organs. If you notice these signs, toss that fish away. You are doing your health a favor by not consuming such a fish with parasites in it.
Lastly, black spots are also signs of a parasite on and in the fish. While these are not very harmful to humans, they do not make your meal appealing. So it is best to discard fish with any of these parasite signs we have just mentioned.
2. Cook the fish well.
We cannot stress this next tip well enough. Always cook your fish and never eat it raw.
Cooking can effectively kill bacteria and parasites that live inside the fish. Even if the parasite is not harmful, you can definitely benefit from cleaning and cooking your fish well before eating it.
Remove the gills and guts since these are hiding places of parasites. Do this after you have filleted your rock bass and before you cook it.
Some folks manually remove the worms to be certain that they are completely gone. A pair of tweezers should be able to do the job well.
The ideal temperature to kill parasites in your fish is by heating it to 140 degrees Fahrenheit or so. Baking, frying, and grilling should most certainly do the job of getting rid of those nasty parasites.
3. Proper storage is essential.
If you do not plan on eating your fish just yet, make sure that you store it well to prevent bacteria from further infesting your catch.
Moreover, freezing is great for preserving fish that you intend to use for sushi. But then again, be sure to still cook your fish thoroughly prior to serving it.
When ready to cook your fish, you need to thaw it before putting on the grill or pan.
Great Ways To Enjoy Rock Bass
Rock bass is a very tasty fish that’s also high in nutrition.
A serving of rock bass fillet, or about 124 grams of this fish, should give you 154 calories and a whopping 28 grams of protein. That is 76 percent of what your body needs!
There are also many ways to eat rock bass. You can season it with salt and pepper, as well as your favorite herbs such as dill, rosemary, or tarragon. Then, bake or grill your filleted rock bass, and it makes for a delicious main course.
Others simply put some breading on it and fry it, so it’s nice and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
No matter how you cook it up, you’ll definitely love the flavor and nutritional value that this fish species has to offer.
Are rock bass good to eat? Definitely!
But make sure you apply our tips on how to inspect it well to make sure you are not ingesting those parasites. Clean your fish, cook it well, or store it carefully to prevent contamination and ensure your health.
Then, enjoy a delectable rock bass recipe that will definitely make you want to have more of this amazing fish!